Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Collard Greens

Hi Everyone!

Is everyone effected by the earthquake still trembling?  It was pretty scary since earthquakes are something that we typically don't experience in the Northeastern portion of the U.S.  Well, here is a recipe for some comfort food to make with your dinner.  Everyone make "greens" differently.  There are many ways to clean your greens as well.  Some soak them in baking soda,  I recently heard from a friend that some people use soap.  Baking soda is probably your best bet.

I like the flavor of bacon in my greens.  So I microwave 2-3 pieces of bacon while my greens are soaking. 

I then wash each leaf and pile them on my cutting board.

Once I get a nice stack, I roll them up and slice the greens down into strips.  I repeat this process until all of the greens are sliced and in the pot.

Place the bacon or whatever meat you're going to use, i.e., ham, smoked turkey, ham hocks on top of the greens. 

I then add water and sprinkle salt into the pot and stir.

Place them on the stove on medium heat.

Let the greens cook until they are boiling, and they turn dark green.

Pour the water off of the greens and season to taste.

Serve with a meat and starch.

Enjoy!

                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment