Sunday, October 23, 2011

Really Easy Roast Turkey and Stuffing

Hi Everyone!

Thanksgiving is quickly approaching!  There are some of you out there who will be hosting Thanksgiving dinner for the first time.  When I prepared my first turkey, I made some major mistakes.  I was really, really lucky that my guests didn't get sick.  Well, I want to help you not panic about making Thanksgiving dinner.  I will also post some recipes for turkey leftovers that may thrill you as well, so here we go!

You will need the following:

* Turkey of course
* Olive or Canola Oil
* Stuffing
* Butter
* Celery
* Onions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Please, please wash and clean your turkey!   I see some folks on tv that barely run water over their turkeys.  Yuck!  Be sure to remove the neck from the front of the turkey as well as the giblets from the back.  I forgot to do this the first time I made a turkey.  I didn't realize that the giblets were in the back as well.

Grease a large roasting pan that will comfortably fit your turkey.

Place your "clean" turkey in the pan.  Season your turkey with your favorite seasonings.  I then rub oil all over the turkey.  This keeps the skin moist.

Now, you'll want to prepare your stuffing.  I happen to like the flavor of Stove Top, but I doctor it up with my own seasonings as well as chopped onions and celery.  Note:  Instead of using water in your stuffing, use chicken broth.  You can also save the neck and giblets, cook them in about 1 cup of water with celery, and bring to a boil  Use the drippings from this for the stuffing.  Do whatever you have time to do. 

Stuff your turkey and place your covered pan in the oven.  Another tip, do not stuff your turkey ahead of time.  Your guests could get sick, so stuff the turkey before you place it in the oven. 

The length of time that you cook the turkey, will depend on the size of the turkey, so please read the cooking guide on the turkey wrapping.

Be sure to baste your turkey at least once an hour, it will come out so tender and juicy.

Your turkey will be done once golden brown.  Another test is to poke your turkey with a fork, you should see clear juices.  Any sign of blood means that it is not done.

In the picture, I left the drippings in the pan for you to view.  I remove the drippings with the baster and place it in a sauce pan for the gravy.  Use about 1/2 cup of flour and water.  Mix until smooth and add to the pan.  Whisk until smooth, then season to taste.

Serve and Enjoy!


                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment