Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pumpkin Crab Soup

Hi Everyone!

Recently, I made a batch of soup for a friend, and mentioned to her that I was entering my Shrimp Crab Corn Chowder into a contest.  She suggested that I make a Pumpkin soup for the holidays, so I came up with Pumpkin Crab soup.  Once I decided how I was going to make the pumpkin, it was really easy.  As you know from reading my past recipes, I try to keep my recipes as simple as possible.  So this is how I did it.

You will need the following:

* A pumpkin that is smooth and not damaged
* Chicken broth
* Milk or heavy cream
* Butter
* Lump crab meat
* Onion
* Celery
* Nutmeg
* Salt
* Pepper
* Parsley (optional)

There are a couple of ways to prepare the pumpkin itself, and you can do what is best for you. 

First, I washed the pumpkin thoroughly in hot water.

With a serrated knife, I cut the pumpkin in half, and scoop out the seeds.  The seeds can be washed and baked to be eaten later as a healthy snack.

Cut the pumpkin into sections and let it cook in boiling water in a large pot.  I suggest that you start boiling the water while prepping the pumpkin to save time.

The pumpkin turned a yellowish-orange color when done and rose to the top.

While your pumpkin is boiling, cut up the onion and celery and saute' in butter.

Once done boiling, carefully empty the hot water into the sink, and then fill it with cold water before handling. 

Using a spoon or an ice cream scooper, carefully remove the pumpkin from the skin and place it in a separate bowl.

Add about a cup of milk or heavy cream and either mix with a blender or hand mixer until smooth. 

Once smooth, add the chicken broth until your mixture is completely smooth.

Pour the pumpkin back into the pot and combine with the onions and celery.

Turn on medium heat and stir.

Now, depending on how thick or thin you want the consistency of your soup to be, add in more milk or broth.  I also added a scoop or two of butter for a richer flavor.

Continue to stir.

Add in the crab meat and gently stir to loosen up your meat so that it is evenly distributed.

Once the crab meat has been evenly distributed, I tossed in some spinach and continued to cook on low heat.

Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.  Voila!  You have made a great holiday soup that will wow your guests.
  

                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment