Thursday, December 22, 2011

Weekday Homemade Mashed Potatoes

Hi Everyone and Happy Holidays!

The other night after a long day at work, I made meatloaf at the request of my son PJ.  Meatloaf and mashed potatoes are his favorite meal.  I had planned on making boxed mashed potatoes, but I ran out.  I didn't want to let PJ down so I decided to make some from scratch.  I thought how can I cut down on the time of preparing homemade mashed potatoes......ahhhhhh.........microwave the potatoes instead of boiling them.

You will need the following:

* Red Skin Potatoes
* Milk
* Butter
* Salt
* Pepper
* Parsley Flakes

Peel and cube as many potatoes as you think that you will need. I prefer Red Skin because they are so creamy.

Add the potatoes to a microwave safe dish.  Fill with water until about half full.  Microwave until very soft. Some miscrowaves have a button where you can just press "potato".  If your's does not have this feature, I would microwave the potatoes for about 5-10 minutes.

Using a strainer, drain and rinse the potatoes.

Pour the potatoes into a large mixing bowl.

Using a masher, mash the potatoes thoroughly.

Add milk to the bowl.....not too much because you are not making soup.

Mix the potatoes with an electric mixer to remover most of the lumps.

Add a generous amount of butter after mixing, and put the potatoes back into the pot on low heat.

Mix with a spoon distributing the butter.

Add, salt, pepper and parsley to taste.

This way took me about 20 minutes.

Serve with your favorite entree and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment