Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Hi Everyone!

Just about everything that I make for my family and friends is homemade.  Very seldom do I use anything from a can or a jar.  But, I do cheat with my spaghetti sauce.  My co-worker Vicki gave my a bag of fresh tomatoes from her garden.  Vicki told me how she made her sauce and was surprised that I didn't make mine from scratch as well.  Well I decided to finally try it.  I was very surprised by how simple it was to make.

I used the following:

* Fresh tomatoes
* Tomato Paste
* Basil Flakes
* Oregano
* Garlic
* Sugar
* Morton's Nature's Seasoning

Wash the tomatoes and place them in a boiling pot of water.

Boil the tomatoes for approximately 15-20 minutes.  You will know when they are done because they turn bright red and split.

Allow the tomatoes to cool in the same water.  Boiling the tomatoes loosens the skin.

Once completely cooled, peel the skin off of the tomatoes and cut them up.

Place your cut up tomatoes back into the pot.  Using a potato masher, mash the tomatoes to your preferred consistency. 

Place the pot back onto the stove and simmer on low heat.

Add a can of tomato paste and stir.

Continue stirring periodically.

Once you have the texture that you like, add in basil flakes, oregano, garlic powder and Nature's Seasoning.  Be sure to add the sugar in little by little for your desired flavor.

Pour over the pasta with a little parmesan cheese and serve!

Enjoy!

                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment